The numbers I’ll discuss relate to “An Italian Adventure” book 1 of The Italian Saga
So, how much money do I make for each paperback I sell?
Through createspace, sold online:
Retail price: 13.99-Printing cost: $5.19= $8.8 Of this money, amazon takes 60% (yeah, you heard right, $5.28) and I make the remaining 40% ($3.52)
Through createspace, sold personally at signing events:
Through Ingramspark and bookstores:
That is 13 cents, ladies and gents. Indeed Ingram spark is what forced the price of the book to be at least 13.54 or they would not print it because they would not have a profit. Oh, and I just got an e-mail saying that they increased their rates (whatever that means...I’m sure I’ll find out way too soon.)
So, what drives up the prices of paperbacks? Printing costs, and distribution costs. Even if my book sells for 13.99+tax I make from 13 cents per copy to $7.91 if I sell it myself, but keep in mind that the number of copies I can personally sell is VERY LIMITED!
Keep in mind that printing costs depend on the quality you demand and on the number of pages. Book 1 of the Italian Saga (for which I’m illustrating these stats) is 382 pages. Pages can be deceptive, because I could print a word per page, Joyce style, and rip you off. My book is around ~75,000 words, which is about 7-8 hours of reading ^_^
E-books are easy because they have no cost! For this reason they typically are cheaper.
My e-book costs $3.99 I elected to sell it only through amazon. This means that my royalties are higher. I make $2.73 per book.
If people read the book through Kindle unlimited I am paid not per book, but per page read. How much it will be paid per page changes each month based on how many people pay for a Kindle unlimited subscription but it’s been around 0.0049 per page. For me that amounts to $1.8 per book.
This method is awesome because it rewards GOOD BOOKS that get read rather than books that are dropped after a few pages :)
With the audiobook the price is set by ACX, the branch of Amazon that deals with audiobooks. They dominate the market and although there are alternatives I would recommend going with them. They distribute through Amazon, I-tunes etc...
They set the price for my audiobook to $17.46. Out of that, for some reason, I make $4.15 per book (more or less depending on how the book is acquired, through audible or not). Notice that I narrated my own book, otherwise I would have had to share that money with the narrator.
SO, HOW MUCH MONEY PER BOOK?On average, a few dollars per book. (Keep in mind that the amount of books you can sell yourself is VERY LIMITING compared to online sales! The majority of sales will be e-books in most genres.)
That means putting out as many books as you can keeping the quality as high as humanly (or inhumanly ha ha) possible. That means that you write because you HAVE TO, because you LOVE TO, not to make money ;)
Just keep writing (and aim for the stars!)